The major functions of the Board are:
- Direct, coordinate and oversee the implementation of the laws and international treaties and conventions to which Kenya is a party to and which relate to copyright and other rights recognized by the Act and ensure the observance thereof.
- License and supervise the activities of Collective Management Organisations as provided for under the Act.
- Device and implement training programmes on copyright and related rights.
- Constant review of the copyright and related rights law.
- Enlighten and inform the public on matters relating to copyright and related rights.
- Maintain an effective databank on authors and their works; administer all matters of copyright and related rights in Kenya as provided for under this Act; and deal with Ancillary matters connected with its functions under the Act.
- Ensure the protection of traditional knowledge and traditional cultural expressions.