The Board is responsible for licensing and supervision of Collective Management Organisations (CMOs). Every sector of the Copyright Industry may have one CMO licensed. The Board has issued guidelines for licensing of CMOs under the Copyright Act. However, the collective management organisations are private firms and are governed by their Memorandum and Articles of Association, and decisions of their members and Boards. The licence is for a period of one year.
For registration of a new CMO, the Board requires the firm to produce:
- Certified copy of the certificate of registration
- Certified copy of the memorandum and articles of association
- Proof of capacity for collection and distribution of royalties
- Deeds of assignment of rights by the members
A fee of Sh250,000 is charged for this service.
For renewal of registration of an existing CMO, which is done every year, the Board requires:
- Certified copies of the annual returns where applicable.
- The CMO’s audited accounts of the year preceding the application where applicable.
- A report of its operations during the year preceding the application.
- Deeds of assignment of rights by the members.
- Proof of capacity for collection and distribution of the royalties.
For this service the CMO is charged Sh100 per member on the CMO register subject to a minimum fee of Sh200,000.